Monday, March 1, 2010

Samuel TUFFINs - from Sutton, Waldron, Dorset to Southern Ontario

The TUFFINs are one of my favourite lines. The name itself makes me happy. We have four generations of Thomas Tuffins , a James, three generations of Samuels and then Sarah Tuffin of Ontario, the first one we discovered churning through microfilms of Ontario marriage registrations and the Ottawa Family History Centre. TUFFIN was I believe the first surname we discovered through research without having heard about it from family beforehand.

March 1st is the 277th anniversary of the baptism of our earliest Samuel TUFFIN.  He was christened in Sutton Waldron, Dorset 1 March 1733. His parents were James Tuffin and Ruth HISCOCK. I like the serendipity of finding Ruth Hiscock (1704 Fontmell Magna, Dorset -1784). Her gr-gr-gr-granddaughter Sarah Tuffin married John HISCOX January 1st 1883 in Middlesex, Ontario -- this was the record we were so happy to find back in 1998. John Hiscox's British roots lie in Sutton Waldron. I like to think one day we will discover a closer connection between Ruth Hiscock bap. 1704 and John Hiscox's forebears, Philip Hiscox born around the same time.

2 comments:

  1. I am very interested in your statement "Her gr-gr-gr-granddaughter Sarah Tuffin married John HISCOX January 1st 1883 in Middlesex, Ontario.". I am a descendant of the Sutton Waldron Mullins line that has connections in Sutton Waldron and Middlesex, Ont. I cannot find your Tuffin-Hiscox couple nor their ancestry. Pls. let me know if they connect to Samuel Tuffin b. 15 Mar., 1829 or another line.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Heidi - our Sarah Tuffin is the fifth child of Samuel Tuffin (15 Mar 1829 - 5 Jan 1917) and Charity Riddle (6 Oct 1837 - 4 Aug 1920). Sarah Tuffin was born 1 Nov 1865, less than 2 years after her older sister Elizabeth.

      I would love to correspond with you via email to answer your questions more thoroughly. My gmail address is whasp5.

      Delete